DEVELOPMENT DIRECTORThe Development Director is a strategic fundraising professional responsible for Blue Mountain Humane Society’s $700K fundraising program. As a member of the leadership team, the Development Director will work closely with the CEO to secure resources to achieve and expand BMHS’s vision in alignment with the strategic plan. The Development Director will be an innovator with the unique opportunity to create and spearhead fundraising policies and procedures, diversify funding streams, and manage relationships with the Board of Directors, staff, and key stakeholders. The Development Director will create a fundraising infrastructure to ensure the organization can respond quickly and effectively to financial objectives. The role will also be responsible for leading the Development team.
Status: Full Time | 40 Hours Per Week
Salary: $58,000 | Year | Exempt
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
Date Effective: 5/1/2023
- Raise $700K+ in annual support from individuals, foundations, trusts, corporations, and government agencies.
- Create a comprehensive annual fundraising plan that articulates the strategies and actions needed to sustain a diversified base of donors and funders.
- Lead the Development team in executing the annual fundraising plan including solicitations, appeals, fundraising events, grant applications, reporting, and stewardship.
- Develop a proactive planned giving strategy to influence estate and other legacy gifts.
- In collaboration with Communications Manager, develop digital and printed materials that convey the case for support to be used by staff and volunteer leadership in the solicitation of major annual gifts.
- Prepare and submit major donor proposals.
- Prepare and submit grant applications and maintain deadlines to meet goals and reporting requirements.
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors to grow their support, and identify, cultivate, and successfully solicit new prospects and lapsed donors.
- Support the Events Committee at annual fundraising events.
- Use reports to analyze donor trends and to inform fundraising strategies.
- Manage and oversee appropriate systems for timely execution of donor acknowledgments.
- Collaborate with the Business Operations Director on the preparation of the annual development budget.
- Actively participate in the strategic planning and growth of the organization as a member of the leadership team.
- Lead the Development team, establishing workplans, providing the necessary training and guidance, and reviewing performance objectives and goals.
- 5+ years of development experience
- Demonstrated experience creating fundraising plans including strategies for individual giving, major giving, institutional support, sponsorship, and events.
- Proven history of soliciting and securing five and six figure gifts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a portfolio of donors with target revenue growth year-over-year.
- Exceptional written and verbal communicator who understands how to align donor passion with programs.
- Experience managing Board committees.
- Demonstrated interest in, commitment to, and understanding of mission-driven work and the nonprofit sector — must embrace the mission and vision of Blue Mountain Humane Society.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Technical fluency with customer management software; experience with DonorPerfect a plus.
Compensation & BenefitsThis is an opportunity to contribute to a highly effective nonprofit’s Development team. Pay will be commensurate with experience. Medical, dental, vision, and employer-matched Simple IRA are part of the benefits package.
- Indoors in a climate-controlled setting, outdoors at the shelter, or on location for events.
- Schedule is Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., with occasional evenings and weekends.
- Regular exposure to a variety of animals.
BMHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Diversity of opinions, experiences, and backgrounds is a key asset