Falkenberg's has served the jewelry needs of southeastern Washington and northeastern Oregon since 1906 with an emphasis on quality and value in both products and services.
Celebrating 117 Years of Love Stories
J.L. Cundiff went to work at Falkenbergs in 1914 while he was still in high school. He worked in the office and became the store bookkeeper. In 1932, J.L. ''Jerry'' Cundiff and Knute Glimme, a Norwegian jeweler working at the store purchased the business and it became known as ''Falkenberg's Jewelers, Glimme and Cundiff Successors.'' During those years, Jerry ran the business, his wife Lois supervised the sales staff and Knute oversaw the jewelers and watchmakers.
Jerry Cundiff, Jr. joined Falkenbergs in 1949 after returning from service in the US Navy. He met and married Ruth who was working as a secretary for the store. Mr. Glimme passed away in 1962 and Jerry and Ruth purchased his equity in the partnership.
In 1973 it became known that the store lease in the Die Bruecke building would not be renewed and a search for a new location began. A building one block west was purchased and in March of 1974 the business moved to its current location at 6 East Main Street.
In the fall of 1975, after attending the Gemological Institute of America in Los Angeles and receiving his Graduate Gemologist diploma, Jerry ''Skip'' Cundiff III began his career at Falkenbergs. At this time there were three generations of the Cundiff family actively involved in the business.
Being a small farming community of about 26,000 residents, Falkenbergs started as a full line store.